Monday, September 07, 2009

Two things I am not pleased about.

1. Few days ago I had a problem with my blog, the permanent links of posts were giving a problem and they were not accessible anymore, they were changed to something else. After doing my investigation I found out my site was basically hacked. I have taken the necessary (but not all) steps to prevent it and hopefully everything is back to normal. If the problem still exists, I will have no choice but to cleanup a lot of things, I do have the backup of posts but I will loose the comments.

To all Wordpress users (self hosted), wordpress is lately under attack and your site might be vulnerable. Make sure to upgrade your wordpress to 2.8.4 as soon as possible.

2. Sooner or later I was expecting someone will interrupt me from taking photographs and that’s exactly what happened on Sunday. In Jusco, Mid Valley I was asked by a manager not to take photographs because its not allowed, fair enough, it’s your property and I am on your property so if you wish I will respect it. But it is always the attitude and the way they approach that pisses me off.

This reminds me of a discussion with Mr. Sunny about the Photographers Rights in Malaysia and where he seemed to be more liberal in favor of photographers I am bit conservative. I tried to search about the subject for Malaysia and I can’t seem to find any authentic information. This blogger here feels more like Sunny and believe the simple rule of thumb is, if you can see it, you can shoot it (provided there are no such matter of national security etc)

But those are all just personal opinions and perceptions, what about an authentic law? The actual rights of photographers? I tried to search but can’t seem to find anything, seems like Malaysia don’t really have any particular law regarding the photographers rights, instead I bumped into more depressing stories about how some photographers were harassed by authorities or even public.

So I am more inclined to accept the UK law but since the evolution of DSLR’s and recent terrorism around the world the law has changed and evolved in recent years. SO will the same law still be applicable here in Malaysia? I guess not, and more importantly, if one is confronted by an authority or any civilian can we argue based on that? Since there is no fine line drawn by the law itself.

I try to respect people and their privacy; I do take candid photos if I know the person. I don’t even specifically shoot a stranger in public place although even law (in other countries) allows you to. It is the act of harassment which is not allowed, and one can not say he or she was harassed just because s/he was photographed.

Anyway, it seems it’s just a start. Lets see, I wont be surprised if someone comes and harasses me.

I think the length of this post is evedent of my frustration about not having a proper guideline.

No comments: