Monday, December 31, 2007

Thoughts Revised.

On Saturday, I went to check if Pakistani High Commission lowered the National Flag here in Kuala Lumpur. Yes indeed, they did.

On a different thought, I have always tried to blind myself when it comes to militants and extremists. I have tried to believe it’s only a bubble in the air created by media, west and our own government because no Muslim can actually go to certain limits where they become suicide bombers and kill innocent people. I have lived in Pakistan from Karachi to the remote rural areas as well as I had friends/neighbors who were/are from Balochistan, NWFP and even Afghanistan. All of them had always condemned to the strongest to any such act if it ever happened on any part of the world.

But I had to question my reasoning very recently. I was watching online news of Benazir’s assassination when this Iranian student came to the floor, not my student though; he was there to see someone else when he saw the streaming video of news on my computer screen. I was shocked to hear his excited voice when he said “Alhamdulillah, she is dead”. WT*, how on earth you can say “Alhamdulillah” (Translation: “Thank God”) on someone’s death? My actual conversation with him lasted little longer but more I spoke to him the less I wanted to.

Later I felt maybe these extremists do exist, perhaps not as much as portrayed on media but they do. An educated Muslim who is privileged to visit and study in different country hold so much hatred in his heart for someone he don’t really know, but only because he has seen her giving some comments in favor of west. Then I am sure there must be more and stronger hatred in some black hearts.

No comments: